Friday, July 17, 2009

Clearlake "Cedars"

Clearlake "Cedars"

'Sup?

Lately, I have been listening to alot of indie music from the past that I am just now discovering. I saw a CD in the bins at work recently and I had to give it a spin. Sometimes this approach works out and you pat yourself on the back for taking the chance. Sometimes you wonder what the fuck you were thinking. This time it worked out well.

The name of the band is Clearlake. They formed in late-1999 and released their first single in 2000. After some early critical acclaim and an appearance on Jools Holland's show, they cut their first album in 2001. Cedars is their second release and even though alot of people believe in the sophomore jinx, it did not happen here.

Their sound is definitely Brit Indie. Their sensibilities remind me alot of two other UK bands that I adore, The Delgados and Elbow. A few of the songs on this recording, including the first track "Almost The Same", have real radio hit potential. The track that I latched onto after the third run through is one called "Treat Yourself With Kindness". It starts out with a real jangly dischord sound with guitar feedback and lack of direction. It makes you wonder just where it is heading. Then Jason Pegg, lead vocalist, comes in and offsets the dischord with a real catchy vocal hook. The song builds into a crescendo and eases back down. It really shouldn't work but it does in a big way. I found a rather bizarre YouTube video of it last week. When I went back to attach the link to it, the freakin' thing was gone! You can find the song on Last.FM, if you are a member, or a few other sites if you want to get a listen to it.

They are currently working on a fourth release, Dark Blue, due sometime in 2009 that I will now be anxiously awaiting. Here is a video from their third album, Amber, called "It's Getting Light Outside"...it's worth a gander:



They recorded a pretty cool cover of Neil Young's song "Cinnamon Girl" on the single CD called "I Wonder If The Snow Will Settle". It's got a slightly heavier guitar sound than Neil's version did. It brings back memories of when when it was first released back when I was in 7th grade.

If you like indie music at all, you should like Cedars. I will be supporting this band now that I have heard their first few releases. Check it out, you might be pleasantly surprised like I was.

K

1 comment:

  1. I love that kick drum sound! Thanks for the rec!!

    I found The Microphones through the "this looks interesting" technique.

    We must catch up via phone very soon!!!

    - b

    ReplyDelete