Sunday, October 11, 2009

Top 28 Albums 2000-2009

Ok, Blythe, you asked for it! Top 28 it is!

Here are my faves of the last decade. These are titles that have meant the most to me out of the hundreds that were considered for this list. There were many others that could have, would have and should have made this list but I'm sticking with these:

28. The Innocence Mission Befriended (2003)
Innocence Mission Befriended
Karen Peris has such a lovely voice and this album from start to finish showcases her amazing talent. It is one of their most beautiful recordings. The song writing is exceptional. Some call them shoegaze and some call them folk. I just call them one of my all-time favorite bands.

27. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Howl (2005)BRMC Howl
You had better get right with your maker! This is a down home, gospel tent revival, delivered by the good Revs. Peter and Robert. Prepare to tap your toes and be uplifted and inspired by the boys on this great recording!

26. Serena-Maneesh Serena-Maneesh (2006) Serena-Maneesh
Great band from Norway. They play some shoegaze and some dreampop. Their song "Your Blood Is Mine" is like a rocket ascending, running out of fuel, turning around and screaming back towards Earth assaulting you sonically on descent. Suddenly, the parachute bursts forth and it lands with pillowy softness. Truly not to be missed!

25. Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions Bavarian Fruit bread (2001)
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions
This is the lead-singer of Mazzy Star and the drummer for My Bloody Valentine's first collaborative effort. As usual, very beautiful, flowing vocals from Hope. The big song was "Suzanne" but the whole album is great. For all you Mazzy Star fans out there, you won't be disappointed.

24. Emma Pollock Watch The Fireworks (2007) Emma Pollock Watch The Fireworks
This is the first solo effort from The Delgados vocalist. Emma really took me by surprise with this one. Great vocals and songwriting. She sings from the heart and is currently working on her second release. If you like this, you will most likely enjoy most of the releases by The Delgados.

23. Elbow Asleep In The Back (2001) Elbow Asleep In The Back
This band won the prestigious Mercury Prize for Best Album in UK in 2008 for Seldom Seen Kid. This effort was their first and introduced the talented Guy Garvey, lead vocalist of the band, to the world. The first song called "Any Day Now" is one of my favorites. Once you hear this band, you'll want to pick up their other releases, trust me.

22. The Czars The Ugly People vs. The Beautiful People (2001) The Czars
This band was discovered by Simon Raymonde of the Cocteau Twins. There are elements of shoegaze, drone as well as alt-country. Lead singer John Grant has a very unique vocal style and his lyrics are pretty freakin' deep. The song "Drug" is melancholy as hell and I love it. This Denver-based group is pretty cool, in my book.

21. Interpol Turn On The Bright Lights (2002) Interpol Turn On The Bright Lights
One of the influential bands leading the post-punk revival in the early part of the decade, this album is still solid as hell. The song "NYC" was the first standout on this recording but the whole album is really good. A staple band of the college radio scene since this debut release, it deserves a solid spot on this list.

20. The Strokes Is This It (2002)
The Strokes Is This It
Notorious as the leaders of the garage rock revival sound at the beginning of the decade. This album was what really kicked it all off for the movement and the band. No song is over 4:00 here, hit it and quit it style. I like it!

19. Yeah Yeah Yeahs Fever To Tell (2003) Yeah Yeah Yeahs Fever To Tell
Karen O has a way of seducing you with her groans, moans and squeals. Even though I adore their first EP, this garage-rock style album is another example of nailing each song quick and getting on to the next. To coin a phrase by Mr. Bowie, "wham, bam, thank you, ma'am"!

18. Cat Power The Greatest (2006) Cat Power The Greatest
This record really caught me off guard. Cat Power, Chan Marshall in real life, assembled some of the best studio musicians around for this solid effort. Very heartfelt from beginning to end, this record is loaded with gems. "Where Is My Love" is a classic ballad that showcases her seductive, breathy vocal style.

17. Beirut Flying Club Cup (2007)
Beirut Flying Club Cup
I have always loved bands that set themselves apart from the rest. Beirut incorporates European folk with a peculiar mix of strings, horns and percussion. Almost gypsy sounding on some songs and mariachi on others, I fell head over heels for this recording. Zach Condon is a rare talent that has a bright future. Thankfully, we get to reap the rewards of this gift for years to come.

16. Tool Lateralus (2001)
Tool Lateralus
What can you say about Maynard and the boys on this one? Diversity abounds throughout. Low key, hard rock, noise,acoustic and great vocals all in one album. Their genius use of feedback and filtered noise makes this my definitive recording for this great band.

15. Doves Lost Souls (2000)
Doves Lost Souls
One of my favorite bands, Doves (formerly Sub Sub) hail from Manchester, England. This is their first release, nominated for the coveted Mercury Prize in 2000. It incorporates a variety of styles and has a way of sweeping you away to another place. I call it epic rock for the new millennium. "Catch The Sun" is my favorite tune but it's chocked full of goodies from beginning to end. Everytime I play this for someone who's never heard it, they want to know how they've never heard it before!

14. Emiliana Torrini Fisherman's Woman (2005)
Emiliana Torrini Fisherman's Woman
A beautiful recording from a lovely person. Emiliana has a gentle nature and beautiful voice. This recording is very acoustic and low-key. Her storytelling is mesmerizing and the song "At Least It Was" has always held a soft spot with me. Open a bottle of red wine and wind down with this one.

13. Muse Absolution (2004)
Muse Absolution
Muse is a British Art Rock band that has been compared to Radiohead. I don't get the comparison. This record has great ballads, power rock with my favorite song, "Stockholm Syndrome", and electronic elements strewn throughout. Matthew Bellamy's vocals are powerful, dramatic and energetic. This was on my playlist for two months when it came out.

12. Coldplay Rush Of Blood To The Head (2002)
Coldplay Rush Of Blood To The Head
I know, I know, you can't stand Coldplay! I don't care what you say, this album is solid from start to finish. I won't even single out any songs as it would take the album as a whole out of context. There is such a myriad of emotion, skill and musicianship exhibited throughout this effort. Ok, so you don't think I'm cool anymore, oh well. Pretentious still, but definitely not cool.

11. Radiohead In Rainbows (2007)
Radiohead In Rainbows
Yup, here is the first Radiohead sighting. Some of you knew it was coming. This band is criticised for so much. Even my most critical friends of Thom and Co. liked this effort for the understated delivery and lack of dramatic license. Whatever, it is pretty fucking good, whether you like the band or not. I love the band and I love this album! Check out "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" and "All I Need".

10. Sigur Ros ( ) (2002)
Sigur Ros ( )
My first listen to this recording blew me away. I had never heard of this Icelandic band before. I was floored that it was so different from any other ambient-noise recording I'd heard before. The vocals were haunting but fit with the music so well. It has a flow that is hypnotic yet so accessible. Eclectic, yes. Eccentric, perhaps. Relevant, definitely. Open-minded people here only, please, as there will be no commercial radio on this one. One of the most ultra-cool live shows I've ever seen!

9. Beck Sea Change (2002)
Beck Sea Change
Beck dug deep on this one, a real departure from "Devil's Haircut" days. This is low-fi all the way. Orchestral and acoustic, musically. Heartbreaking, forlorn, resigned and introspective, lyrically. If Owen Bradley had been around, this would have been right up his alley. I don't recommend drinking Jack while listening to this one and whatever you do, watch out for the dog in the road!!

8. Grizzly Bear Veckatimest (2009)
Grizzly Bear Veckatimest
One of the truly relevant albums this decade. This was one of those that blew me away for the first spin. This Brooklyn-based band is now accessible to so many because of this release. The blending of layered vocals, subtle instrumentation, orchestration and powerful lyrics is masterful. It will most certainly be at the top of my year-end list for '09.

7. Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes (2008)
Fleet Foxes S/T
My favorite album of '08, this recording has alot of folk and storytelling elements to it. I love the way that the delivery seems so easy and simple, yet complex at the same time. When you watch Robin Pecknold sing, there is an understated element about the music that makes you want to embrace it. This is their first full-length release and I cannot wait for the next one to come out.

6. Radiohead Kid A (2000)
Radiohead Kid A
Here is my favorite Radiohead of the decade. I know, all of the music critics picked this one, too. I can't help that this album is great. Those of you that "don't get" Radiohead, I am sorry. I believe that you are missing out on musical art here. "How To Disappear Completely" and "Optimistic" are vital tracks.

5. Elliott Smith Figure 8 (2000)
Elliott Smith Figure 8
A tragic figure, Elliott Smith was not the nicest guy by all accounts before his death in 2003. He didn't have the greatest singing voice and he didn't have pop idol looks. What this man did have was the ability to write unbelievably great songs. He was a very good musician. He is one of those artists that didn't pull any punches. He bared it all for those to see; good, bad and ugly. I will never get sick of this recording, ever. He'll always be known as the guy who wrote the Academy Award nominated song for Good Will Hunting to most. I will always regret all of the great songs that I will never hear him write and perform due to his early death.

4. Delgados Hate (2003)
Delgados Hate
My favorite album from one of my favorite bands. Dubbed "the depressed cousins of The Flaming Lips" by Rolling Stone magazine, The Delgados took their name from a Tour de France winning cyclist from the 80's. The first song, "The Light Before We Land" was the theme to the anime series Gunslinger Girl and is my favorite song. The record has ballads, clever lyrics, sweeping orchestration in places and catchy hooks. They won the Mercury Prize in 2000 for the album titled, The Great Eastern in 2000. Very underrated in my book!

3. Aimee Mann Bachelor No.2 or, The Last Remains Of The Dodo (2000)
Aimee Mann Bachelor No.2
People who know me know of my affinity for Aimee. She has always seemed like my cosmic twin when I listen to her. This recording has a history. She wanted to release it late in the 1990's on her label at the time but they refused to until she changed it to their liking. She refused. Eventually, they dropped her and she started her own label. She signed other artists and gave them what she had wanted. Ownership of their intellectual properties and the majority of the profits. Aside for this yarn, the material on this record is great. Recommended songs are Academy Award nominated song "Save Me" from the Magnolia soundtrack, "Ghost World" and "Calling It Quits".

2. Mojave 3 Excuses For Travellers (2000)
Mojave 3 Excuses For Travellers
I have worn this one out in the past decade. Brilliant songwriter and singer, Neil Halstead, of Slowdive fame, fronts this alt-country band. He also brought along Rachel Goswell and Ian McCutcheon from Slowdive. The level of perfect execution on this record is inspiring. Neil really knows how to hit you where it hurts. The tempo is decidedly slower but those of you who enjoy classic ballads and heartaches o'plenty, will dig this one alot.

And the envelope, please...(insert drumroll here)

1. Doves The Last Broadcast (2002)
Doves Last Broadcast
Yes, there are a million reasons why this shouldn't have been at the top of my list but here it stands. I drove all the way to L.A. to see this tour because of the impact that it had on me. Every song had relevance to me and it was one of those albums that you look back at with the fondest of memories. My favorite songs are "There Goes The Fear", "M62 Song" (an adaption of the King Crimson song "Moonchild") and "Caught By The River".

There you have it. A daunting task but a fulfilling one. I would love to see more decade lists from people. Come on, what have you got to lose?

The rest of my SF trip is coming VERY soon, I promise!!

Karl

1 comment:

  1. I dig! All of it! I had no idea you were into Serena Maneesh and Tool! That pretentious indie music snob mind of mine.

    I should have known better about Hope Sandoval... my Recording III teacher, Dale Everingham, was engineer on 'So Tonight That I Might See', and knows the drummer of MBV. Blast!

    Can't wait to hear the rest of your SF trip, fantastic list!!!

    <3 b

    ReplyDelete